Read some important and interesting facts about Jayalalithaa who was one of the most famous political leaders of India with a huge following in Tami Nadu. She died on 5th December 2016 after her health started deteriorating because of multiple organ failures include lungs and heart.
She was a leader of mass and was known as one of the most intelligent politicians of the country. Below are some facts about Jayalalithaa who was known as Amma among her followers.
10 Facts About Jayalalithaa ‘Amma’
1. A fine actress who debuted in Tamil Cinema as a child artist and soon became a star.
2. A multi-talented artist who was trained in classical music, western classical piano and many dance forms which include classical dance, Mohiniattam, Bharatanatyam, Kathak, and Manipuri
3. She also starred in Bollywood film Izzat opposite Dharmendra in 1968.
4. She was one of the biggest superstars of her time. During 70’s she was one of the highest paid Tamil actresses and delivered more than 100 blockbusters.
5. Her former co-star M G Ramachandran brought Jayalalithaa into politics after he became Chief Minister of the state.
6. After MGR’s death in 1987 AIADMK spilt but later came together under Jayalalithaa’s leadership in 1989 when she was appointed as first woman leader of the opposition.
7. During her tenure as Leader of Opposition, a shameful incident occurred inside the assembly where DMK’s MLA molested Jayalalithaa and turned her saree. Her comparison of the event to Draupadi’s ‘cheerharan’ got her enormous sympathy.
8. In 1991 she became youngest and first female CM of Tamil Nadu to serve a full term.
9. She was convicted and acquitted few times during her tenure as Cheif Minister of TN. She was accused in cases related to corruption and disproportionate assets.
10. In 2016, she became first Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in 32 years to be voted back to power for the second continuous term.
Read and share these facts about Jayalalithaa or ‘Amma’. She was a powerful, Intelligent and popular Indian Political leader with many achievements under her name.
Liked This List? Read and Share It on Facebook.